WWTP

Concordia's Wastewater Treatment Facilities History

bbConcordia’s first wastewater treatment facilities were installed in 1954.  These units, located approximately one mile northeast of Concordia, consisted of one lift station, comminutor, primary clarifier and sludge digester with sludge drying beds.  The system provided primary treatment for the city.  Hydraulically, the system was adequate, but due to aging and the lack of secondary treatment, the treatment effectiveness did not meet any of the recently enacted State and Federal regulations.  The continued discharge of inadequately treated sewage to the Republican River posed a potential source of pollution to Milford Reservoir.  To achieve the required BOD and suspended solids level of treatment, it was determined that additional treatment capability must be provided. 

 

hhAfter a review of the City’s existing sanitary sewer system and treatment facilities regarding its adequacy to serve the present and future needs, infiltration / inflow problems, it was decided to build an Orbal Activated Sludge system in conjunction with sanitary sewer improvements.  The plan was the most cost effective alternative for meeting KDHE and Federal effluent guidelines. 

 

 In 1997 another plant upgrade was implemented to comply with ever tightening Federal and KDHE standards and to lower power consumption. A Propulsaire mixing system, an Aquionics UV disinfection system and an Excelsior blower system for the sludge digestor were some of the improvements that were made.

 

wwAs technologies and efficiencies improved, in 2003, it was determined that separating mixing and aeration would be much more energy and biologically efficient.  Landia mixers and Aqua-aerobic aeration systems were installed reducing the overall horsepower usage by over 50 %. 

 

Plant and city management are always on the look out for future trends in treatment and regulations so that the environment and the citizens of Concordia are protected in as safe and cost effective way as possible.  Tours available upon request.

 

The NEW Vactor Truck!
 
FotoFlexer Photo

 

Chief Operators/Plant Managers

Ronald Cote

1955-1957

Roy Barker

1957-1958

Hans Henke

1958-1964

Walter Hundley

1964-1975

Joe Burns

1975-1983

Kim Colby

1983-1987

Charles (Bud) Young

1987-1994

Jim Wilson

1994-1998

Jim Stromberg

1998-2009

Tim R. Halfhide

2009-Current

 

Current Staff

Plant Manager

Tim R. Halfhide

Operator

Paul McGuire

Lab Tech

Tom Strecker