History of the Concordia Fire Department

On February 4th, 1874, the Concordia City Council formed the first Fire Board. Their charge was to establish a Fire Department. On November 4th of the same year, the Council directed the Fire Board to organize a fire company for the city. 

On February 12, 1876, the Fire Department received its first Hook & Ladder truck. It was discovered that the truck delivered was not what they had ordered, and they demanded that the correct truck be delivered before payment would be made. 

On October 18, 1877, the city council paid $500.00 for the new Hook & Ladder truck. 

The Fire/EMS Department has undergone a few changes since its inception, both in the location of the station and the type of equipment utilized. On October 18th of this year, we will be celebrating the 134th year of providing service to Concordia and the surrounding communities. To date, we have instituted the use fo medicals skills and the development of our EMS Services. We have one Paramedic Level Technician on staff, and several who have achieved the Certification of Advance Life Saving skills, We recently have exceeded the Standards set by the Kansas Board of EMS. The Department continues to meet the challenges that each year brings, and strive to increase the level of service provided. 

We are YOUR Fire Department!