OPEN BURNING PERMIT GUIDELINES
The first step in obtaining a burn permit is to contact City Hall for an application. Once the application is filled out and the fee is paid, the office will notify the Fire Department for the issuance & inspection of the permit.
ORDINANCE # 2001-2804
Purpose: The governing body has found that open burning within the corporate limits of the City of Concordia creates potentials hazards. It is deemed necessary by the governing body to prohibit such open burning without a permit, and to set forth requirements for such a permit, and a written policy regarding such a permit as provided by the ordinance.
Scope of Ordinance: The ordinance is created to regulate the burning of garbage, trash, leaves, brush, junk, lumber, petroleum products, oils, tires, composition shingles, tar paper, chemicals, hazardous materials, and all similar items, which are prohibited
Any burning that takes place within a residential or business structure of any accessory structure thereto that if fueled by wood, coal, or gas and is related to heating or cooking, is beyond the scope of the ordinance, except that any such burning that creates a fire hazard for nearby structures is declared unlawful and is subject to established fines.
Limitations: Open Burning will be permitted only for the day the permit is issued and only under the requirements of that permit.
- Burning is limited to leaves, uncut grass, small limbs, and shrubbery, NO TRASH OF ANY KIND.
- The size of the fire will not be so large as to create a hazard to the surrounding area.
- No accelerators will be used to start the fire.
- There must be adequate time for the burn to be completed by dusk hours.
- In the event that the burn permit officer believes that is a reasonable danger to the public, the burn permit officer can revoke the at any time.
- There must be a minimum of 25 feet from any structure to the burning area; distance will be at the burn permit officer's discretion.
- There must be a water supply (garden hose or larger) available at the burn sight, the burn permit officer will be advised at the time of issuance of the permit.